Congress Website


In two steps, share the responses developed by your city; region or national association to overcome the COVID-19 crisis.



The Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Marija Pej?inovi? Buri?, has issued a toolkit for governments across Europe on respecting human rights, democracy and the rule of law during the COVID-19 crisis.

COVID-19 Toolkit (available in several languages)

Home Cities and regions Turkey Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality

Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality

According to the new Metropolitan Municipal Law (No. 5216/2004-5), which was adopted on 10 July 2004 and published in the Official Gazette on July 22, 2004, a Metropolis was defined as a city whose boundaries comprise more than one district, and municipalities formed in these cities were defined as Metropolitan Municipalities. The total land area of Istanbul that is considered within the jurisdiction of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality is 5460,85 km². 34.9% (1,864.23 sq km) of the total land area of Istanbul is located in the Anatolian side, and the remaining 65.1% (3,478.79 sq km) is located on the European side.